Tuesday, May 18, 2010

That's Jesus

My daughter is 17 months old and is talking all the time. Sometimes it makes sense and other times my husband and I just nod and say, “yes” or “really” or we ask questions if it seems appropriate to do so. I am 100% sure that my daughter knows exactly what she is saying and we have just failed to catch up.
Last week she did start using a phrase that was crystal clear: that’s Jesus. She would walk to the window in our kitchen, point, and say, “that’s Jesus”. She would then scurry to another part of the house, point to a wall and say, “that’s Jesus”. This went on for about 2 minutes with her pointing at various objects and exclaiming proudly that, well, “that’s Jesus”.

As a Christian, I am ashamed to admit that one of the first things that crossed my mind was, where did she learn the word Jesus? We pray before every meal and frequently have family Bible studies, but I didn’t think she was actually picking up a ton of that just yet. I did try to sing “Jesus Loves Me” in the car to her one morning, but she growled and said “bah, bah”, her official request for “Bah, Bah Black Sheep”. Wren did start Sunday school daycare last week, but I’m not sure that’s where this came from. I imagine it would be hard to have hard core Jesus curriculum with a class of 11-18 month olds attending for about an hour. Plus, Wren is one of the oldest and most mobile in the class. While the other kids are still trying to crawl properly, Wren is giving them looks like, seriously, stop drooling and let’s run around in circles. I have a feeling conversations with her during class probably go something like, “Wren, that’ Caleb and we don’t step on his head while we’re walking to get the blocks.” But who knows. Amazing teachers can produce amazing results.

My husband and I didn’t discuss in depth where this came from, but we were proud that the words were so clear and that she thought she saw Jesus. I had one of those aren’t kids so cute when they don’t know what they are talking about moments, but it hit me later she might be having an aren’t adults so stupid when they refuse to see the small stuff moments. I have heard before that the Lord is present everywhere. He created the universe so why shouldn’t He inhabit every part of it? And while my daughter can still see clearly that Jesus can be standing outside the kitchen window or living in the tree in our back yard, I as an adult only look for God in the answers I specifically seek, and sometimes it stops there. I ask, God what is your plan for our life when the second baby arrives? Will I be at home with the kids? Will I still be working? Will the business I am currently building on the side take off? God, is the baby in my belly safe? Am I brushing Wren’s teeth enough? Should we be weaning right now? God, and on and on and on. That is often how I approach our relationship. I wonder sometimes if God has a huge set of ear plugs and if He ever feels the temptation to shove them in His ears when He sees me open my mouth to address Him. Unlike my daughter, I don’t go around screaming in an elated voice, “that’s Jesus” when I get up and the sun is shining. Or when we are all healthy with more than we need and nothing we want. It might cross my mind when that person doesnt’t side swipe me while talking on their cell phone and smoking a cigarette at the same time that that was Jesus, but I quickly forget that to get back to focusing on what I want. And that’s a very human inclination, not Jesus.

So, in order to be more like my daughter, I am writing this blog to look for Jesus in the small things, the everyday things. Dennis and I are going to use it as a journal about our journey as a family, but more importantly about our journey as a Christian family. We are in a place in our lives where we see amazing things happening daily, even if we don’t acknowledge them enough, and this is a place for us to say, “that’s Jesus”! We started trying to make a list of the events that have occurred in our lives lately that we feel are divinely inspired, and the list got too long and we realized we were going to lose track. This will give us a record and a way to see how we grow, where we fail, and ultimately that Jesus is in everything. Let me add the disclaimer that I have been a Christian for 15 years and there are probably a ton of people that, if they read this, will be shocked by the goals of this blog. I haven’t been that good at the Jesus thing and fall horribly off course on a pretty regular basis. This is a humble attempt, so view it as that. Plus, for all the family members viewing, Wren updates will appear here also.

1 comment:

  1. I truly believe the innocence of childhood allows them to see things adults cannot.

    ReplyDelete