Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Last Gluten-Free Supper

Recap: We have a map! I’m not sure who’s more excited, the kids or us.  D and I spent at least 15 minutes just staring at it saying things like, “So, Canada, bigger than I thought.  Russia could swallow everything! Who wants to live on those islands way up north of Europe?  Wouldn’t you die from freezing if you touched the water?” Really, we are going to use it to pray. And we have seen a map before.


Since the focus this week is Easter, I’ll save the little things for next week.

Last night when I was off from work we had our traditional Last Supper and feet washing with the kids. It was a night early, but that didn’t seem to bother anyone.

When I say traditional, let me clarify: we ate bits of gluten-free hot dog bun and drank water. We read the part from the kids’ Easter Bible about why we celebrate the Last Supper, and they begged for more than one bite of bread.

After we ate, Dennis and I washed Sammy and Wren’s feet.  A pastor I knew once said if you truly want to serve someone, wash their feet.  I think that’s true, and I think that’s why when D and I wash each other’s feet tonight we will both say things like “You don’t have to” or “I hope my feet aren’t too gross”.  It feels very personal, extremely intimate, and the person receiving the feet washing usually feels a bit uncomfortable about being served this way.

My kids were completely fine with having their feet washed.  They laughed; they relaxed; Sammy eventually attempted to drink the feet washing water.  They came to the experience like kids: grateful for the gift, unwilling to refuse an offer of grace and service.  They accept what Christ did for them, the grace He offers, what their parents do for them.  They let others have the joy of offering.  They make things simple in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment