Monday, May 6, 2013

Signs Your Kids May be Absorbing Bible Stories



  • The stuffed animal dog in the house is named Isaac;
  • Wren frequently puts her baby doll in an empty basket, calls him Moses and “sends him down the river”;
  • There is a stuffed cat named Jerusalem, and Sammy at two years old has no problem saying Jerusalem;
  • Wren can recite the story of Sarah and Abraham.  Her main concern right now is how Sarah’s hair gets grey and how she gets “so old”.  I say, “But God blessed Sarah with old age and with baby Isaac, even though she was old.”  “But mom, she got old.  Am I old?  I am four.”
  • Sammy constantly asks to read the story of Samuel and smiles every time he sees  pictures of Samuel in his book.

Hoping to amp up the kids’ Bible study a bit, we checked out some Bible story books from the junior non-fiction section of our library.  Wren and Sammy both have Bibles with stories, but they were at a point, especially Wren, where we needed some more detail, more depth.  God just sort of plopped me in junior non-fiction shelving one day, and I found a plethora of materials. .

(Note:  Flip through these and make sure they are appropriate for your child’s age.  While Sammy and Wren know the story of David and Goliath, their children’s Bible doesn’t go into Goliath’s head being chopped off.  One of the junior non-fiction books showed Goliath’s head detached from his body.  I do not need my kids refusing to sleep for the rest of their lives, so I put that one back.  We’ll get there, but for now they are okay with, “Goliath was a bad guy and got hit in his big head with a rock.  Ha!”)

I am impressed with how much kids retain from books.  I’m also kind of shocked at how these books are helping me as I attempt to wrap up reading my Bible in a year.  Honestly, I am still learning and trying to remember details, and the children’s books have been a blessing.  By my birthday in August, I should be through the whole Bible, and then I will go back for some in depth study on each book of the Bible.  I think I’ll actually have much better understanding due to the simple visuals, direct detail, and repetitiveness of the children’s books.  

No comments:

Post a Comment