Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What I've Learned from Taylor Swift: Everything Has Changed

I don’t listen to very much current popular music.  However, I heard Taylor Swift’s “Everything Has Changed” song on the radio on the way to work one day.  When a new Taylor Swift song comes out, it is inescapable.  A nice tune is turned into the eye-rolling overplay of the century in a matter of days, the beauty of modern radio.  When I first heard this song, I thought, “Cute.  She’s found another boyfriend and everything has changed until next week when she is writing a song about the break up and how much she hates him.”  I was not hugely affected.

As a side note, one of the hard parts of explaining this in pieces is many overlap.  For instance, I was reading some Donald Miller, being very thankful for the safe arrival of my twin girls, and exploring my relationship with the Christ in many ways when I stumbled upon this song again.  The radio was on, I was most likely sifting through stations rapidly, usually settling on a Christian station or the oldies.  And I just wanted to know everything I could, everything it is possible this side of Heaven to know about Jesus.  Then the words came, along with the melody of a song.  This is God speaking to me through the medium He created me to enjoy: words. 

All I knew this morning when I woke
Is I know something now, know something now I didn't before
And all I've seen since 18 hours ago is green eyes and freckles and your smile in the back of my mind making me feel like

I just want to know you better know you better know you better now
I just want to know you better know you better know you better now
I just want to know you better know you better know you better now
I just want to know you know you know you

Cause all I know is we said hello
And your eyes look like coming home
All I know is a simple name, everything has changed
All I know is you held the door
You'll be mine and I'll be yours
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

Oh, Taylor Swift, you nailed it.  And not about some boy, though I hope you find a boy you want to know who wants to know you, but not more than you want to know Jesus.  Because THIS for me, this is how I want to know Jesus.  He says hello; it’s all different.  His face; now I can’t think of anything else.  Where’s the home for the displaced heart, the heart that in the past has had issues feeling like it doesn’t belong?  Here it is.  And then, Ed Sheeran, or in my mind, Jesus, starts singing to me.

And all my walls stood tall painted blue (the sky, the wall between me and God that existed before Jesus’Crucifixion and Resurrection)
But I'll take them down, take them down and open up the door for you (For me?  Just take them down?  Just break open the sky, tear the veil, for little old me?  Yes please!)
And all I feel in my stomach is butterflies the beautiful kind
Making up for lost time, taking flight, making me feel like (Read the Bible or listen to Lenny Kravitz.  This is not unrealistic in the sense that Jesus has an intimate love for us, delights in us, wants all our time.  I hope I can make Him this happy.)


And then more chorus and more wanting to know, and then this:

Come back and tell me why
I'm feeling like I've missed you all this time (Yes, how did I miss it?  I live in the Bible belt with all the rules and strategies and follow these steps-to-know systems, but how did I miss actually knowing HIM?  I’ve missed Him.)
And meet me there tonight
And let me know that it's not all in my mind

All I know is we said hello
So dust off your highest hopes
All I know is pouring rain
And everything has changed
All I know is a new found grace
All my days, I'll know your face
All I know since yesterday is everything has changed

I sat in the car in my driveway and wept like a kid, nose running, kind-of-can’t-breathe crying just singing about how much I want to know Him better.  Then I checked out the Red CD this song is on from the library and listened to it.  I let D listen to it so the words, “I was just sitting in the car crying, singing Jesus a Taylor Swift song” would make some sense.  He got it.  He asked if I was sure she didn’t write it for the Lord.  I don’t think she did, but she could have.  Doesn’t matter.  Everything is His and He can be where I least expect Him helping me know Him more, showing me that once I know Him, everything does indeed change.


No comments:

Post a Comment