Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What I’ve Learned From Emeli Sande: God is Always There


I am not generally a person who gets in a funk.  It happens, but it’s rare, and I’m grateful for that.  What spurred the mini-funk I got into in January was this:


This happens every day.  This is reality.  This is unacceptable.
So I went home and lamented to Dennis.  He listened while I droned on for 30 minutes without taking breaths, ending with, “And what do you even do?  How do you fix this?  What can you offer a country of children where almost 100% have already been sold by their parents to be raped?”

“The promise of something better, of a Savior, of a world beyond that will not be like this.”

He wasn’t saying don’t do something now.  Obviously, something needs to be done, and there are organizations and individuals who help stop sex trafficking.  As long as this exists, everyone should be committed to helping stop it in some way.  What he was saying is that sometimes when you arrive, the damage is done.  You try to prevent future damage, but undoing what has been done is impossible.  Having a Heavenly Father who loves you, a paradise waiting for you, that is something to be offered, and that is the ultimate. 
His words were so true.  And also, I was very pissed about this whole thing.  I wanted more.

The funk descended, and I settled into it.  I didn’t go into some deep depression or refuse to get off my couch.  I went about my day feeling helpless to do anything and ashamed that I thought in my life I had ever suffered.  God doesn’t want us to do this.  This kind of funk can cause shame and inaction that don't help the situations that put us in the funk in the first place.  It’s counterproductive, but sometimes I indulge.  And these kinds of funks always make me feel far from God.

While at the dentist with Wren, uncomfortably settled into my uselessness and disgust, I noticed the dentist’s office was now down with the modern music on the radio, and I felt somewhat concerned.  We don’t listen to much modern music in our house or car, especially since the most seemingly innocuous tunes now have subtle references to sex, drugs, and alcohol.  My kids are like sponge parrots:  they soak up everything then repeat it 24/7. 

However, I do occasionally catch a tune, as evidenced by the Taylor Swift lesson.  And I knew the song that came on as Wren sat contentedly getting her teeth polished.  I knew it was for me.  Sample lyrics are:

You won't ever find him be unfaithful
You will find him, you'll find him next to me


You won't find him tryna chase the devil
For money, fame, for power, out of greed
You won't ever find him where the rest go
You will find him, you'll find him next to me

When the money’s spent and all my friends have vanished
And I can’t seem to find no help or love for free
I know there’s no need for me to panic
‘Cause I’ll find him, I’ll find him next to me

When the skies are grey and all the doors are closing
And the rising pressure makes it hard to breathe
When all I need’s a hand to stop the tears from falling

I will find him, I’ll find him next to me

When the end has come and buildings falling down fast
When we spoilt the land and dried up all the sea
When everyone has lost their heads around us
You will find him, you’ll find him next to me

 These lyrics weren’t written about Christ, but that morning in the dentist office, I looked up and in my mind said, “Hello.  So you’ve been there all along?”  And I knew the answer was yes.

Dennis and I are moving out of our apathy, the apathy bred with the privilege of not having what most of the world considers problems on a daily basis.  We are getting involved with causes that touch us, causes God said to get involved in, justice, here, now. 

But it’s overwhelming.  I still take solace in the fact that God does not leave me or those who suffer.  He’s next to me, fighting for those who don’t have a voice, comforting those who are broken, offering a forever only He can give.  Next to me, always.

I attached the video for this song because you need to hear it.  The beat, the passion.  Stand up.  Get ready to dance King David style unto the Lord.  It’s an anthem of sorts for me now.  I sing it in the car, alone, where eardrums will not be shattered. 



For further information on how you can help stop modern slavery and human trafficking, refer to these excellent sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment