Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Invisible Dog

Wren, reading a Fancy Nancy book where Nancy gets a dog:  "Mom, I really wish I could get a dog."

"I know, but Sammy and your dad have asthma.  Plus, dogs are expensive."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you have to buy them food, take them to the vet, pay to have them stay somewhere when you go out of town.  We only have so much money, and I don't think you would want to give up other things so we could spend it on a dog."

"What about when I have my own money?"

"Your brother and dad still have asthma.  Maybe when you move out you can get a dog."

I look over at Wren a few seconds later to see her eyes wide, a horrified expression on her face.

"Move out?  Why do I have to move out?"

"Wren, when you go to college.  Not now."

"I don't think I want to go to college if it means I have to move out."

"Okay, well, you will probably change your mind about college and moving out and...why are you crying?"

"Moving out!  I don't ever want to leave you!  I want to see you everyday and be your kid forever."

"You will always be my kid!  Okay, don't cry.  You're six.  This conversation was premature."

"I'm six, but I'm growing up fast!"  Wren curls into a ball in the recliner and starts ragged breathing.

"You can see me everyday.  Just buy a house down the street!"

"You don't see your parents everyday.  They live in another town!  Is that what happens?"

"Not always, but it's okay if it does.  We see each other a lot.  We talk on the phone!  Please stop gasping!"

After cuddling and more reassurance, we avoid an all out breathe-into-a-bag fest, and Wren decides to rest on the couch and read some more.  She picks up the Fancy Nancy book and not two minutes later I hear, "Mom, I really want a dog."

Dear invisible dog,  I blame you for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment