Sunday, July 1, 2018

Persevering in June

The first six months of the year are gone.  How exactly did that happen?  Here's what I focused on in June.

Getting Rid of Plastic

In our continued effort to treat the planet better, I purchased reusable bags to replace Ziploc bags in our house. I'm hoping that my kids won't throw them away and that we'll find them as convenient as the less eco-friendly type. I plan on reviewing them once we've used them longer.

Letting Go of Expectations and Outcomes

Part of what I've learned studying meditation and mindfulness is how important it is to let go of expectations. This doesn't mean I can't hope for things, but letting go of how I expect a situation to turn out or how I expect someone to act is freeing because it allows me to live in the experience. I notice what is actually happening. I respond to what is, not my disappointment about what isn't.
This isn't easy, and I am working on it every day.

Writing Without Reader Eyes

I spent the whole month of June writing creatively and did not submit one word. This goes back to letting go of outcomes and expectations. I am trying to master my craft, write what I care about, and plow through about 17 essays and stories that are started but not finished. It's been refreshing to just write without taking time out for the submission process.

Yes, I do want these pieces to find homes, but that's not my primary concern right now. I'm writing for me and so I can grow in this area. I may continue this through July because I've enjoyed it so much. Maybe in August I can spend a ton of time just writing cover letters and submitting.

Being the Support Person

D is trying to finish his final graduate college classes this summer. That's been intense, and he's needed time to study as well as hold down a full-time job and parent. I'm trying to do what I can to take the load off of him in other areas of life, even if it's something as stupid as taking the trash out instead of waiting for him to drag that mess to the curb.

Marriage is precious when each of you can slide into the role you need to fill at the time. D usually takes the kids to the pool in the afternoons so I can get a break, but I have been doing that this summer so he can come home from work and start studying. I've realized how much I take him for granted and how he constantly expresses gratitude, an area I need to majorly work on.

Actually Eating the Vegetables

I'm still eating a sort of pescatarian diet that also includes eggs. Guess what I learned? There are tons of really unhealthy vegetarian-style foods out there. I knew this already because we have been through the gluten-free transition. Sure, you can eat healthier on a gluten-free diet, but you can also just eat gluten-free crap.

I am trying to make taking meat out of my diet = adding more vegetables, not more meat-free trash food. It's hard. I am never going to be one of those girls who gets excited about cauliflower or who salivates thinking of a soup made with squash. Those people are adorable, but I'm not one of them.

Salad? Yeah, I am trying to do that, but potato chips with black bean dip are also vegetarian, so I have to make myself choose wisely. This month has been a challenge, but I'm moving that direction.

No Summer School, Sort Of

For the first time in our homeschooling lives, we've decided to take a summer off. I ask the kids to read daily, but that's about it. However, we are working on other skills, mainly training our brains to handle big feelings without repressing or being totally controlled by them.

I've introduced activities, books, and workbooks on mindfulness, empathy, and calming down, as well as working through techniques for dealing with anxiety. Being able to handle emotions is the gift that keeps on giving, and I am honestly just now getting better at dealing with repressed issues and investigating my feelings without being owned by them. I want my kids to be able to do this much earlier in life. The public library and Pinterest have helped tons on this journey.

Creating

I am in the process of:
Creating a new art/homeschool room design
Creating a calm down box for the kids(and maybe me)
Creating quality time with each kid, each day



This is the beginning of the paint sample process.

No comments:

Post a Comment