Monday, August 6, 2018

July Book List

Non-fiction was the majority this month, but all the books were pretty great. It was a good month for words in my world.

Non-fiction

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

I did not know who Rachel Hollis was before picking up this book, but I enjoyed her work. Hollis, who is a mother, businesswoman, and eternal optimist, shares a rule for life in each chapter. She weaves her personal story between the pages and works to lift women up and help them realize their goals.

This could have easily fallen into the self-help, cheerleader fluff, but Hollis did pretty well at keeping it out of that territory. She reminded me to keep promises to myself, a great reminder to obligers if there ever was one, and that I don't have to waste my time on what other people think of me.


Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide by Kay Redfield Jamison

I saw a lot of well-intended tweets and FB posts after the slew of suicides in June, and many of them made me nauseous. I know, that sounds awful, but so many were off the mark about suicide and mental health, and they left  those of us who have weathered the harshness of depression thinking, "what the actual f*ck are you people talking about?!?"

Writer Sloane Crosley then tweeted about this book, how it had all anyone needed to know about suicide, and she was right.

It's a very difficult read, especially if you have suffered from suicidal thoughts or know someone who has taken their own life. Jamison paints the devastation through suicide notes, research, case studies, and her own experiences as a woman who suffers from manic depression. The takeaways are many, including the most effective ways that have been found to treat mental illnesses, which Jamison found are a factor in over 90 percent of suicides. Though this was written years ago, Jamison's work is extremely relevant, and her ability to paint a picture of what mental illness looks like through both research and personal stories is a gift.

Read this book. Those who have been to the dark place will understand and know they aren't alone(but be warned you may also have some strong flashbacks, and those aren't easy to weather) and those who haven't can hopefully develop empathy for people who have historically been thrown aside even after their deaths, sometimes even having their bodies refused burial.

Calypso by David Sedaris

Sitting down with an entire book of Sedaris' thoughts is always a treat. In his latest collection, he covers everything from family to middle age, from the devastation of his sister's suicide to having a tumor removed from his body to feed to a turtle. His writing is so hilarious that the serious, tough lessons hit me hard enough to knock the wind out of me. This is a fast read and a delight.


50 Beautiful Ways to Draw Your Beautiful, Ordinary Life by Irene Smit and Astrid van der Hulst

I am drawing my way through this book and loving it. I am not finished and will likely take a full year to get through all the artistic activities, but I wanted to mention it on the book list because of the pure joy I feel every time I pick it up.

I am horrible at drawing, painting, anything related to visual arts, but I have still thoroughly enjoyed attempting to capture what I see. This book has made me a better observer, and time seems to slow down when I sit to draw. I have to remain focused, something that is a challenge in our fast-paced world, and that brings a stillness to the day no matter how my picture turns out.


Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Super Power by Brittney Cooper

Britney Cooper writes honestly about what it means to be a black feminist in a world where feminism often doesn't do a great job of considering anything but white women's needs. Cooper still sees choosing to support feminism as worth it, and her words can help all of us make the movement better.

Cooper uses her anger, which many women are told is a bad thing to feel, in service of change. Her rage is eloquent, as the title implies, and she tells readers about harnessing her experiences and the feelings that come with them to affect the world.

Cooper shares her life, as well as research and deep analysis, and created a book I couldn't put down. I will likely pick it up to read again. I've never seen someone make such a convincing argument for black women owning and using their rage.


I adore pretty much anything Rachel Cusk touches. She wastes no words, gets to the heart of an issue, and writes with such beauty that I often find myself holding my breath while reading her work. Her non-fiction book on motherhood is further evidence of her skills.

This was published years ago, but I found the emotions she expressed are familiar no matter when you become a mother. Far from being unloving, her thoughts were honest and conflicted, complicated and all-encompassing, just like motherhood. 


If I had a coffee table, this book would be on it, not just because it's gorgeous but because I need to read these pages regularly. McAlary writes about how postpartum depression and a prompt to write her own eulogy led to a life change that helped her simplify and slow down. She covers everything from how to declutter to how to responsibly use technology without letting it overrun our lives. She's honest about the challenges of trying to live a slow life in a fast-moving world, but the solutions she offers are practical and effective.

McAlary's section on mindfulness beautifully explained everything I've learned about this approach and how using mindfulness techniques in our everyday encounters can transform our lives. I recommend this book for everyone.


Even my crappy photography skills can't ruin
the beauty of this book.


Fiction

Less by Andrew Sean Greer

I'm not sure what those who award the Pulitzer Prize look for in a book, but the 2018 pick was charming. Arthur Less, a semi-successful writer, decides to escape his own life when a man he's been in a sort of relationship with gets engaged and marries someone else. He takes invitations to teach in other countries, to attend writer's retreats, and anything else that can fill his calendar so he can escape from his own feelings.

I loved the characters in this book, and Greer isn't afraid to poke fun at his protagonist while still obviously caring for his well being. I found this book to be charming.

The Only Story by Julian Barnes

Barnes tells the story of Paul, a 19 year old who begins an affair with a married woman in her 40s. Paul lets his readers know that this isn't simply a sexual entanglement but a real relationship that spans time and challenges, and we see how the entire things unfolds from start to finish.

Barnes' writing is beautiful and even, flowing effortlessly. I enjoy his work and found this novel to read quickly and be full of compassion.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

"Things Fall Apart" is the first book in a trilogy, and many people read it in high school. I missed out, but I feel lucky that a friend recommended it to me. 

Okonkwo is a warrior in Africa who is not happy to see both religion and politics affect his community. Achebe spends the first part of the book getting readers acquainted with the customs of Okonkwo's community and giving insight into the man himself. When the European's clash with Okonkwo's community, affecting even his closest family, he struggles to find his place. The longer I read this book, the harder it was for me to put it down.


It's hard to describe how I felt about this book. I enjoyed it and recommend it, but it was also heartbreaking due to White knowing how humans work so well. 

Adrian Mandrick is an anesthesiologist who is also obsessed with birds, to the point that actual humans sometimes take a backseat to adding birds he's seen to his list.

When Mandrick's mother tries to reach him, we start to see his past story unfold alongside his current situation with his wife, his children, and his addiction. Though a couple of the last scenes felt a bit forced, the story was captivating and devastating in equal parts, though I believe White meant to offer hope in there as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment