Sunday, November 22, 2015

Is There Ever Enough Time to Read?

I started this year with a plan to read the top 50 books from last year chosen by BookPage Magazine.  I didn't accomplish that goal.  I have read 50 books so far, but I veered off the list.  It's weird because I loved almost every book on the list and had even already read a couple of them.  The list helped me try new genres and discover new authors.  It's very probable that I will go back to the 2014 list and pick up some more titles from it, as well as attempt to read the majority of the books on the 2015 list when it comes out.  However, I get distracted.  I see books in libraries and I grab them.  I read a book that mentions another book and I go grab it.  I read a book I like, find out there are more in the series and read them all.  Friends recommend books.  D recommends books.  I have trouble being in a monogamous relationship with one book list.

The book list I know I will be working on is one that started from a question I asked D a couple of weeks ago:  If you had to go somewhere and could take three books to read for the rest of your life, what would they be?  We expanded that list to 15 and made each other lists of the books that have influenced our lives or that we love or that we read at a particularly impressionable time in life and will never forget.  I just finished The Forever War, a post-apocalyptic choice from the list he made for me.  Like a boss, he started right off with Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, an over 700 page work of fiction expounding on Rand's theory of objectivism, a book I read in high school and will always remember for a myriad of reasons.  We're working on a movie list for each other which means I'm going to have to watch Ghostbusters and he is going to have the privilege of seeing Beaches and probably every Jimmy Stewart film ever made.

Here's what I've read so far in 2015.  I promise, I really DID expand my horizons, though by the looks of the fiction list it appears I definitely have a type.  

Fiction
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion
Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston
Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
The Forgetting Place by John Burley
In Paradise by Peter Matthiessen
The Betrayers by David Bezmozgis
The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh
Colorless Tsukuru and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
Mermaids in Paradise by Lydia Millet
The Children Act by Ian McEwan
Child 44 Tom Rob Smith
The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith
Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith
Language Arts by Stephanie Kallos
The Last Pilot by Benjamin Johncock
The New Neighbor by Leah Stewart
Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher
The Melody Lingers On by Mary Higgins Clark
Outline by Rachel Cusk
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Purity by Jonathan Franzen
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Us by David Nichols
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

Christian Non-Fiction
Counter Culture by David Platt
Scary Close by Donald Miller
For the Love Jen Hatmaker
Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequist

Non-Fiction
Better Than Before by Gretchin Rubin
Can We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast
Blood Will Out by Walter Kirn
Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Design Mom by Gabrielle Stanley Blair
Homemakers by Brit Morin
A Spy Among Friends by Ben Macintyre
The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling
My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller
Mama Tried by Emily Flake
Hold Still by Sally Mann

Historical Ficton
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins
Girl at War by Sara Novic

Post Apocalyptic
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
The Girl with all the Gifts by M.R. Carey
The Passage by Justin Cronin

Young Adult
We Were Liars by E.L Lockhart

Sci-Fi
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

No comments:

Post a Comment