Friday, January 1, 2016

Resolving: The Abbreviated Version

My Erin Condren planner is full of stickers and dates, a multicolored book of expectations and obligations.  I have 12 different main goal categories and subcategories beneath each one.  Then I have the action plans to help me accomplish all the goals on the list.  This works for me because I am very good at the big picture idea and bad at the little detailed steps necessary for making the big ideas the reality.  I have to write down the big plan then make myself figure out how, if I want to finish a novel or make sure Sam can read by the end of the year, I'm going to prioritize with the 24 hours I have a day.

However, I want a place to keep the simplicity of what I want to accomplish in each area visible.  I want the guts, the true reason, the big pay off to be there when I get tangled up in the mess of the details, which I always do.  So here are my categories, here are my big picture goals:

Spiritual
"I once listened to an Indian on television say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him or have Him brush your face in a breeze."  Donald Miller from Blue Like Jazz

Remember not to just look for God when I'm doing the Jesus things.  He's everywhere.

Marriage
Fall in love again every day.

Parenting
Instruct less, show with my actions more.

Homeschool
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire."  William Butler Yeats
Remember this when I teach my children.
Service
Serve God and others in every way He calls me to.

Financial
Make sure money is spent responsibly on items we need bought from companies we trust.

Organization
Keep less things to enjoy more time.

Community Involvement
Interact responsibly to help where I am.

Creativity
Pursue passion.

Friendship
Listen and know each loved one enough to know what their idea of a perfect gift or perfect day would be.

Health
Love, adore, and care for the body I have.

Home Improvements
Care for what we've already been given.

When I forget, when I get caught up in the demands of the every day, I'll come back here and look at what I really want.  I'll remember the goal is to make all of this habit, the way I live regularly.  I'll remember why the details and all the little steps are there.  They're stepping stones leading me to the place I want to dwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment