Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Trying New Things: The Book List

I used to work part-time at a library, and one of my favorite parts of the job was spending time with the books.  As I shelved items, I would lovingly caress the spines of all the books containing stories and characters, words to provoke thought or action.  Many times I would end up checking out as many books as I shelved, and I found that my time at the library helped me read outside my comfort zone.  I would grab any book that called to me from the shelves knowing it would be easy to return if it didn’t end up drawing me in.

Now that I no longer work at the library, I can easily fall into a book rut.  I grab my type, generally realistic fiction or memoirs or books by the likes of David Platt, Sarah Bessey, Jen Hatmaker which are non-fiction Christian journey type of books, and that’s about that.  I don’t expand; it’s not an intentional decision.  Without my beloved shelves to roam, I fall into form. 

Fortunately, I fell into the equivalent of a library full of stacks holding a variety of books from every genre:  the Top 50 Bookpages Lists for 2014.  I grab Bookpages magazines at the library every month, and at the end of last year, I hit a gold mine.  I’m now reading my way through the 50 books on this list, and I hope to finish them by the end of December.  One problem that may thwart my goal is that I also read other books that grab my attention through the internet or word of mouth, so I’m reading these 50 plus whatever I grab. 

You can find this list online as well.  I am going to track what I’m reading and possibly book review my favorites on occasion.  Here’s what I’ve read so far.  The * denotes a book that was not on the list. 

January
Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead
The Rosie Project* by Graeme Simsion
My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff
Unbroken* by Laura Hillenbrand
All the Lights We Cannot See* by Anthony Doerr

February
The Invention of Wings by Susan Monk Kidd
Remember Me Like This by Bret Anthony Johnston
Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
The Girl on the Train* by Paula Hawkins
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

March 
The Rosie Effect* by Graeme Simsion
We Were Liars* by E. Lockhart
What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins
Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey

April
Us by David Nicholls
The Forgetting Place* by John Burley
In Paradise by Peter Matthiessen
The Betrayers by David Bezmozgis
Better Than Before* by Gretchin Rubin

The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh

This is what I'm attempting for May:

Blood Will Out by Walter Kirn
Before I Go* by Colleen Oakley
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty

Continuing to read different types of literature seems like a good long term thing to try.  Station Eleven, a sci-fi post apocalypse story, has been my favorite so far, and I would have NEVER grabbed that one on my own.  I'll let you know how I feel about the book about a woman who works in a morgue.  Also COMPLETELY not my usual type.

I'd love to get any book recommendations any readers would like to pass along.  I'm faithful to my list, but I can't help it if my eye wonders on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment