Saturday, December 23, 2017

Nine on the 9th, or Halfway to 18

My oldest kid is nine, and it's a bit hard to process. Since we had Wren and Sam's parties on the same weekend, I actually avoided having the full slam of her being nine hit me until after it was all over. Now I'm sitting here thinking, um, where exactly did that time go?



When Wren was the age of her youngest sisters, she had a two and half year old brother and we brought home twin infants. It may feel like she grew up fast because she had to. She became the diaper grabber and mommy's helper very, very early. (Sidenote: D and I laugh so hard at the idea of bringing home one, let alone two, kids with the twins this age because we still view them as babies. I'm not sure if we are being unfair to the oldest or the youngest.)

Wren's vibrant personality has served her well this year as we have made some major changes.  We switched churches, and Wren joined a new choir and made friends with everyone in about five minutes. She is known wherever she goes.  We hesitated to move for as long as we did because we didn't want to disrupt her life, but she found her people and was the one to ask, "When are we joining because I want to call this place mine?"

She went to day camp. There's a whole story about her not being able to find her bathing suit the first day, so I sent her to church camp in a bathing suit that was too small like she was trying out for a lifeguard role on Baywatch. She did not care. She loved it.

Wren started gymnastics, and her dedication to this pursuit astounds me.  She's been promoted to level two after only four months, and she practices all the time.  Challenges don't daunt her the way they used to.  She has a bring-it-on attitude that allows her to do hard things.

She has the skills when it comes to art and is currently working on a series that centers around a bird (of course, because she is my Wren.)

She LOVES to read, and her current obsession is Harry Potter.  Praise God for kids who like good books!

I also figured out Wren's Enneagram number this year, I think, and that has helped me relate to her decisions in a better way.  I see some of her actions in a new light, and this has helped me guide her.  The big thing for her is letting her know she can be loved for who she is, not just what she does.  That is not an easy one for her to grasp.

At Wren's birthday party, I took a picture of her and her fabulous girl crew.  I won't publish it here because not all of those kids belong to me, but a friend pointed out that Wren was trying to touch all of her friends in the picture.  Her arms are around their shoulders, and she is literally stretching her body as far as she can to make sure everyone feels wanted. She's an includer, and she is surrounded by some of the greatest friends on earth. When I get stressed because the whole world seems crazy, I look at these kids and see that they are going to be world changers, love givers, women who make a difference in every way.  It gives me peace.


Birthday snuggles



Birthday Interview

Favorite experience this year:  Birthday party, trip to Austin, Camp in the City, any time at Nanny's house

Ways she grew:  She developed her artistic skills

Interest or hobbies: gymnastics, Harry Potter, art, reading

Favorite way to spend time with others: cuddling and playing

Hope for the year:  have the same friends, avoid bullies, do well at AWANAS

I think Wren has gotten both the best (undivided time before the other kids were born) and the worst (so many expectations that were probably unfair because she's the oldest) from her place in the birth order. I can't wait to see what this kid does, and I just feel fortunate to be here to witness her everyday life.

Ready to head into the world on the back of Pappy's Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment