Wednesday, December 6, 2017

November Book List

Non-fiction ruled the month, and there wasn't a bad book in the bunch.  Enjoy!

The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin

I make it a point to read most books by Gretchen Rubin because her research is meticulous and her writing enjoyable.  In her latest book, she explores the idea of four tendencies, a concept she first brought up in her last book, "Better Than Before".  She explains how knowing your tendency will help you meet your goals and how understanding other people's tendencies will help you interact successfully with them.  The tendencies are: Upholder, Obliger, Questioner, and Rebel.

I love this one, and I highly recommend.  Also, I'm an obliger.  Learning my tendency has helped me understand a lot more about how I function.

The All-or-Nothing Marriage by Eli J. Finkel

Finkel thought he was going to write a book about how we don't seek as much from our marriages now as we did before because of the other outlets we have to fulfill our needs.  After preliminary research, he found out he was wrong.  It turns out we expect more from our marriages than any generation before, and good marriages are growing stronger and weak marriages are dying under the pressure.

Finkel explores the history of marriage and then walks us through where we are now and what we can do to enhance our relationships.  This book was insightful and well-researched, and I think it should be required reading for those who are married or who have even ever thought about getting married.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

This is the first Agatha Christie book I've ever read, and somehow I avoided spoilers.  It was good, though knowing there was going to be a twist at the end took a bit of shock out of the actual twist.  If you haven't read it and you like mysteries, grab it.


Bored and Brilliant by Manoush Zomorodi

I wrote about this book here, and I really enjoyed reading it.  In a world where many people feel like they are slaves to their phones more than they would like, Zomorodi challenges readers to learn to interact with their technology intentionally by giving them challenges.  She also presents research that will give many of us pause when thinking about how we handle our phones in our lives.

This isn't a technology detox, but the challenges can be difficult.  I found myself having to remember what my goals were when performing the challenges, and some of them were harder than I imagined they would be.  I'm not a phone-in-my-hand-all-the-time person, and I have no notification alerts on my phone.  That's why I was caught off guard when I realized how many interactions with my phone are habit and not at all thought out.

Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss and Tahl Raz

I wrote an article about the profound effect Voss' book had on my parenting style, and I cannot recommend this one enough.  Voss' stories of his days as a hostage negotiator are interwoven with tips about how to interact in any situation to make sure the outcome is as positive as possible.

Surprisingly, Voss' tactics don't depend on force or muscle.  He emphasizes active listening, tactical empathy, and many other skills that are considered soft, though the pay off is strong.  I love this book and find myself using techniques from it almost daily.

Fiction

Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin

This book was an unexpected surprise that I devoured in a day.  Zevin has crafted a fictional tale of a young woman who has an affair with a married politician, only to have her life destroyed when it's discovered, while the politician suffers no repercussions.  It's a perfect tale for any time, but it especially resonates now.

Told from three different perspectives, we see how the entire situation unfolds and get a very real view of what we do to women in our culture who step out of line, even as men usually don't have to worry about the consequences.  This is a must read.

Tell Me How This Ends Well by David Samuel Levinson

This was a quirky grab that I wasn't sure about, but I'm glad I saw it through.  Told from the perspective of three siblings who are living five years in the future, "Tell Me How This Ends Well" unfolds as the adult Jacobson children are preparing to kill their father.

The backdrop is a very anti-Semitic United States, and the reason for the desire to murder is all the cruelty the father bestowed on his kids throughout their childhood.  A recent cancer diagnosis for their mothers has made the kids want to offer her a peaceful time at the end of her days, and they believe the only way to do that is by getting rid of their dad.

Hilarious, sad, and very will written, this story had me up until one a.m. turning the last pages.  The characters are well-formed, and the story of family is beautiful, despite the obvious murder plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment