Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Sam at 7

I feel like this year has been pretty huge for Sam.  He's grown and developed in so many ways, and my hope for him this year and always is that he learns to love himself a bit more.  Despite all the major things he's accomplished, he has trouble seeing himself the way others do: kind, loving, determined in the best possible way.

My favorite memories of this guy this year involve him doing things that he wanted to do, even though they were scary.  Sam is learning not to let fear run his life, and if he wants to do something, he is figuring out how to overcome the mental block that tells him he can't.

Hanging out at Pappy's house

This year I watched him roll down a hill that was shrouded in darkness, not stressing that he had no idea what was at the bottom.

I held his hand as he ice skated for the first time, getting right back up every time he fell.  He might have even had to help me up a few times.

I watched his Minecraft perler bead creations sell out at our homeschool crafting fair.  Sam did not even stay at the table to watch because he was so sure that months' worth of work would be rejected.  It wasn't.  The kid made major cash, and one of our dearest friends leaned over when the last one was sold and said, "I love it when the good guy wins."

I watched him ride roller coasters.  In fact, I forgot that the Runaway Mine Train had tunnels, and we rode it at night.  Sam asked me twice if there was any chance we'd be going through dark places.  I said no.

After we sped through the first dark tunnel, I was able to lean forward and say, "Sorry, I forgot about that one."  When the last one arrived, the one that comes at the very end when the ride has slowed down and it seems like all the surprises are over, I felt awful.  When we got off the ride, I asked Sam if he was okay.  He said, "Well, yes, now.  Of course, when the people in front of me fell into a dark hole screaming, I assumed something was wrong and we were all about to die.  But we didn't, so..."

Mom fail, but he overcame.

Birthday party time!



Sam is artistic and empathetic.  He is obsessed with things being fair at all times.  He remembers lines from movies and songs, and he does great impressions.  Quality time is his favorite way of being shown love, and though he likes compliments, he has a hard time believing them.

Sam is my questioner, my skeptic in some areas.  I think this is good.  I like questioners, and I hope we've created an environment where he knows the questions are welcome, whether they are about God or why we spell words certain ways or plot holes in books.

Birthday Interview

Favorite thing to do: play video games, art with dad, Minecraft Legos, science experiments, cook
Favorite memory: going to Six Flags
Hopes for next year: snow
Favorite movie: The Mask (he's only seen pieces that D showed him, not the whole thing)
Favorite book: The Island (Minecraft book)
Favorite place to eat: Picnik, Sweet Rituals, Taco Deli, Twisted Root Burgers, In-N-Out
Favorite subject: play the piano
Favorite movies at the theatre: Thor: Ragnarok


No comments:

Post a Comment