Friday, June 5, 2015

Summer Reading!!!!

It's the most wonderful time of the year...no, not Christmas.  Summer reading!  Are you ready?  Do you have a list of books you must devour?  Do you want to spend the next three months at the library just taking it all in?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, then you just haven't found the right book.  I'm here to assist with a list of my personal favorites from through the years.  This was like choosing between children, so all my favorites aren't here.  Friend me on Goodreads so you can spy my full list and I can see what you read!

Favorite Short Story Collections
Lucky Girls by Nell Freudenberger
Cheating at Canasta or anything by William Trevor
The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway

Classics aka Books You Were Supposed to Read in High School But Didn't
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway

All-Time Favorites
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Reading Turgenev by William Trevor
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

Favorite Series
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Chains Series by Laurie Halse Anderson (still waiting to read the third book)

Memoirs
Expecting Adam by Martha Beck
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff

Non-Fiction
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Better Than Before by Gretchin Rubin
Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn

Historical Fiction
What is Visible by Kimberly Elkins
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

New Fiction
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Astonish Me by Maggie Shipstead
The Betrayers by David Bezmozgis

Christian Writing
Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker
Counter Culture by David Platt
Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters, both by C.S. Lewis
Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller
Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey

Great Books for Adults or Kids that Read Well Together(the books read well together)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Be prepared to discuss time travel.

Daily Reading
The Bible
I'm doing a Bible Study right now, walking through the entire book with a couple of ladies from my family.  No matter how much or how often I study God's word, there is always something new, something more, each time I read.

Children's Books We're Loving



And for May, my book list didn't go as planned.  I did not read Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.  The writing was great, but it turns out I really don't want to know about the inner workings of people getting cremated.  If that's your thing, that book might be for you.  I also started Internal Medicine, but never could get into it.  Again, the writing was solid, but it didn't strike my fancy at the time. Instead I read:

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami
Scary Close by Donald Miller
Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant by Roz Chast
Blood Will Out by Walter Kirn
A Reunion of Ghosts by Judith Claire Mitchell

I enjoyed all but Colorless Tsukuru.  The book was very addicting at first, but the ending was unsatisfying to me.  Plus, there was one very graphic scene that caught me off guard and that seemed to be in there for no reason at all except to shock.  That's not really my style.

Now that you have material to read, check out the summer reading program at Half Price Books, or stop in at your local library and see how to sign up and track your reading.  Around here, Frisco opens up their summer reading sign up tomorrow, and Plano kicks off Suburban Dare (summer reading is a part of this program) on Saturday.  We read around here all the time anyway, so might as well track it and earn some prizes!








No comments:

Post a Comment